Social Business Innovation and Sustainability Program in Yukatán, MÉXICO
- Mérida, Yucatán (México)
- 4 weeks
- anguage: English and Spanish
Due to the increasingly global and changing political, economic and social context, there is an urgent need to create ethical and sustainable actions that have a positive impact on unemployment, poverty and inequalities.
Social entrepreneurship helps to generate responsible and transformative business models. In addition, it proposes innovative business solutions based on social justice economic and environmental sustainability.
Mérida, on the Yucatán peninsula, is considered one of the safest and best cities to live in Mexico. It has a rich historical heritage blending Mayan, Spanish and African cultures, which makes it a favourable destination for developing innovative projects based on social, economic and environmental sustainability.
You will work with local teams focusing on various projects including marketing strategies, financial plans, business plans operations and monitoring and evaluation. You will gain experience and a deeper understanding of business administration strategy and functions of running a small business withina LATAM context.
As part of students capstone project you will be paired with local community partners and will be required to work in the field with their partner on a specific project which could include, a business review and strategic marketing plan, a financial assessment and recommendations to increase profitability, a sustainability review and Corporate Social Responsibility strategic plan, to assist local partners increase their long term sustainability and impact and connections within local communities.
You will spend 3 days volunteering in rural areas working as a teacher assistant at a local school, running sports, working on sustainable agricultural or construction projects.
Mexico as an economy in great development and social entrepreneurship as an option for equitable and sustainable development.
You will discover the diversity of Mexican culture, its history, gastronomy and customs through the different cultural and leisure activities that take place on weekends.
All our programmes include online training through our Global Youth Academy e-learning platform that addresses the themesof the United Nations 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Cultural Activities: Mayan Culture and Local Kitchen
Mérida is known for its rich cultural heritage product of the syncretism of the Maya and Spanish cultures during the colonial era.
- Discover some of the Yucatan’s highlights on this full-day tour from Mérida.
- Embark on an early morning trip to Chichén Itzá, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to explore ancient Mayan ruins without the heat and crowds.
- See even more Mayan architecture at your next stop, Izamal, before ending the day with a nice dip in a local cenote.
- Visit a New 7 Wonders of the World site Chichen Itza and learn about ancient Mayan history and culture.
- Visit a local rural village and collect fresh ingredients from the sustainable local markets, you will then enjoy learning to prepare local mayan dishes and enjoy the meal with the community.
- Making new friends.
- Global markets in Latin America, traditional dependence on the US and new opportunities.
- Mexico as an emerging economy with the highest global growth the next 10 years.
- Opportunities and challenges with an ethical and sustainable approach.
- Competencies to work and interact with different cultures.
- Expand self -knowledge by recognizing strengths and weaknesses.
- To understand the world as a system; the interrelationships,
dependencies and North-South effects.
- To develop the ability to establish the connections and subsequent
alliances necessary to create innovative projects.
Sustainability and impact measurement
- To understand the capacity for action on the 2030 Agenda.
- To develop indicators to measure impact from an economic, social
economical and sustainable value.
Innovation in sustainable companies
- To increase the innovative capacity to find solutions to social, economic and sustainable problems.
- To learn the following methodologies as tools to address economic and social entrepreneurship: Lean Startup, Theory of Change in Business Model Canvas, ChangeMaker.
Train the next generation of leaders for the creation and management of social and sustainable companies.
Train students to develop creative and innovative actions in the business field that solve economic, social and environmental problems with a global and multicultural vision.
Equip students with the necessary skills to identify and solve business problems in an ethical and sustainable manner; and empower them to develop an entrepreneurial spirit based on critical, responsible, committed and creative thinking.
Development of indicators to measure the economic, social and environmental impact of its actions.
Deep understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals and the 2030 Agenda and their transversal application in economic and business activity.
Global Youth Academy is Lea Global’s e-learning platform that offers training on the United Nations 2030 Agenda and how to adhere, through action, to the different SDGs. All projects include 120 hours of training at the Global Youth Academy, as well as continuous online support on the subject developed.